No, I did not lose 185 pounds because it couldn't be done scientifically. The nature dictates that no material can be in existence in minus form. For example, you cannot prove something that does not exist. I wouldn't be able to write any thing on this blog if my weight is minus something. (Ah, this is not a place for a lady to disclose her poundage.) Food for thoughts, huh? But this is not a blog about science, I was just merely trying to tell you that I saw the title of this post during the Pear Blossom run; and I truly think that's how someone can run. Sure, there are plenty of people who run because they are blessed with the genes, the body types, the endurance and the commitment to be all they can be. No, they are not US Army; they are professional athletes. And there are people who run for recreational purposes (even as I write this, "recreational" does sound like a load of crap.) or for healthful purposes or as a hobby (only crazy people have running as a hobby.) The point is, unless you are a professional athlete and are compensated with a huge amount of money for your performance, most people run because they want to and that they can.
Of all the people I've observed during the Pear Blossom Run, and there were quite a few interesting ones: the guy with the lime green tutu (absolutely charming!); the lady who ran in her bare feet (I wonder how much she is charged if she ever wants a pedicure?); the guy running in his blue jeans (If he were anything like the Levi's male models, I'd say that he's getting paid for doing that; but... and I shall stop here.); the petite mother/daughter team, one in a bright orange t-shirt and another one in bright pink t-shirt who weaving in and out of the line; the group that would shout out encouragement to each other and to the onlookers; I admire the person who has this quote on the back of his/her t-shirt the most. (I'm sorry I didn't even try to see the face of the person. I was huffing and puffing and was in total disbelief that he/she is ahead of me.)
How true are those six words: I will. I can. I did. This is not going to be a post praising the benefits of running; because if you can list ten good things, I can easily counter with ten bad things. Really, really. It's kind of like what Haruki Murakami said in his book "What I am talking about when I talk about running" that he wrote the book not to encourage others to run; rather, he wrote it as a journal of his experience in running - the good, the bad and the glory - which I appreciate very much. Putting my usual response "Because my husband fancies taking a runner to bed" aside when people asked me "why do you run? what makes you start running"..etc., I started running because I needed to know if I can and that I desperately needed some "alone-time" or "me-time". To my amazement, I can and I've enjoyed those times when I was by myself, listening to the music that I adore and feeling free - not quite as a bird but close...more like a Bambi - and content. Free and content, aren't these two words so hard to come by as we get older? Even the sweats, the aches, the pains and the smell were tolerable (to me. I can't speak for my kids and some of you who had to endure me after a quick run : ) and, at times, they were welcomed and considered a validation of my effort.
My journey with running is not going to end yet. I'm getting back on track for a half-marathon in September. And you know what? I am actually excited about it. And maybe I will lose the 185 lb, eh?
No comments:
Post a Comment