Friday, July 8, 2011

A Town Called the Water's Tail

Rufus,

Looking at the dark green ocean, the waves coming and going and the blue sky with feathery white clouds floating by, an understanding came to me:

I am the green of the ocean and you are the blue of the sky. It would appear that the ocean and the sky are connected seamlessly at the edge of the earth when one is looking out from the beach. One only needs to look up and one would realize that, in reality, the ocean and the sky are so very far apart. The distance between them is something cannot be overcome and it is not possible, nor probable to make them closer. Oh but the illusion by one’s naked eyes is so convincing that they are joined, attached and form the straightest horizontal line and I believe that’s where they have their conversations.

This thought pleases me and I don’t know why. I’ve just finished a one-mile run on the beach while listening to Kashmir (It is my absolute favorite, ya know. I had it on repeat over and over); feeling very much young and vibrant. The tide was going out and much of the sandy ground was revealed with broken seashells, sand dollars and tiny pebbles glistening in the morning light. I ran through puddles of water and was splashed with the coldness; skipped over the tiny pools pretending that I was running a mud race. The wind behind me pushing me to run faster and I did. And I was happy.

Trying to take a picture with my iPhone to catch the white-laced waves around my blue Crocs and I ended up with a picture of the shadow of my lower body. I giggled and texted it to my friends with a caption that says “Hey, look at my shapely legs!” Getting a respond from LCG that says “You are weird” and from KG a “Nice…” and I remembered the trip to the beach at the town called “The Water’s Tail." Boy, that was long, long time ago.

F. Scott Fitzgerald is on my to-read list. I’m reading Sagan’s “Bonjour Tristesse,” in English of course. I’ve read it in Chinese when I was in high school and thought to read it again in English now so I might possibly gain different yet interesting new insight? Trying to finish "House made of Dawn" but I am having a hard time understanding why Abel killed his friend. What I really want to read, from start to finish in one setting, is “Guns, Germs and Steel” by Jared Diamond before September - that's my goal anyway. How’s your summer so far?

Dufus

No comments:

Post a Comment